Monday, December 12, 2011

Not an excuse and a note on knitting in public

Oh, my dear blog.

I am so sorry for my absence. I am afraid that this past month has been so hectic that I haven’t had time to blog at all. I won’t go into the depressing details, because hey! I really don’t want this post to be an excuse.I just want you to forgive me and we will move on.

If there is one thing that I have learned over the past month, it is knitting in public has certain trials that go with it. The largest of these would be the questions that you are sure to encounter from non-knitter bystanders. I would like to take a moment to address them from my perspective.

1. Wow! What are you making?  Thanks, I am making a [insert item here]. It is very pretty, otherwise I wouldn’t be making it. No, it is not for me or you. Don’t even ask.

2. My grandmother used to knit/crochet/something.  I am sure she did, along with everyone else’s. No, I did not learn from mine. I taught myself, thanks.

3. I could never find time to do all that.  I don’t find time, I make time. It isn’t very hard. Waiting in lines, sitting in a coffee shop, watching TV, sitting in traffic - there is always time to knit.

4. That looks complicated! I could never learn.  Sure you could, if you wanted to. If it looks complicated and I am looking at my knitting and not everywhere else, that probably means I am concentrating. If you mess me up, I will go from nice to hellcat in under two seconds. You have been warned.

5. That must take a lot of patience. I couldn’t do it.  YES YOU COULD. Patience? Not so much. Control over your temper and filthy mouth? Yea, I think that is somewhat needed. Believe me, I know very few knitters who are blessed with patience. Personally, I have about 6 projects going at any one time because I have no patience.

In summary, most knitters are awfully nice. If you come over to where I am knitting, I will talk to you. Please, however, try to realize that I have been asked the same questions a thousand times and the answers have never changed.

Note, I reserve the right to stab you if your hands are dirty and you touch my yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment